I like carrying a different bag every day, so as to match it as well as possible with what I am wearing. Hence, my handbags are constantly put in rotation - and due to all this switching around as well as to being highly disorganized, I discover at least once or twice daily that I forgot to move my Metro card, lipgloss, toothpicks, or something else that I desperately need from yesterday's to today's bag of choice. Blame my absentmindedness!
Today I was toting around my fabulous Deux Lux gold hobo (above left) .... and this is what's in it!
- iPhone and charger. The first one goes without saying, the second one comes in handy when I'm on set, since I tend to be on my phone a lot and will typically run down the battery before I even have time to blink! I am infamous for always "borrowing" the portable outlets that hair stylists use for their tools on location out in the woods, some park or anywhere else where there is no electricity. What else is an iPhone addicted girl to do?
- Makeup and a few options of lip gunk. Three different shades of concealer and two different shades of lipgloss, all Maybelline. Some generic compact. Neutrogena SPF 15 lipbalm and Sephora strawberry lipbalm. I love mixing my own preferred color when applying undereye concealer - don't you agree it looks horrible when people just slather on a layer of something that's close to their skin tone, yet not a perfect match? No-no, not me! Currently cheaping out on free stuff from Maybelline... an unexpected job perk from a runway show I walked recently! I can really recommend the lipgloss: it tingles nicely when applied (!) and stays put pretty well throughout the day for being a drugstore brand.
- The essentials: wallet, Metro card (that I never use - I love walking) and sunglasses. Did I even have to mention those? My wallet is from Kipling and I've had it forever. Isn't it weird that you can be so excited about owning (and rotating) a whole closetful of handbags, but at the same time feel perfectly content owning and using one wallet only? However, I guess it would be too much, and too risky, for someone as messy as me having to keep track of and transfer important stuff like IDs, credit cards and whatnot from wallet to wallet on a daily basis. It's bad enough that I can't even handle moving my hairbrush from Furla to Kate Spade!
- A good read: currently the Bazaar October issue and a handbook for actors by casting director Paul Russell, that I really should have finished long ago, since I am currently enrolled in a workshop that is based on its contents! Oops.
- Chewing gum (preferably Wrigley's Spearmint or Orbit Maui Mint), toothpicks, wetnaps and a tissue/napkin. Sometimes I also throw some floss, toothpaste, mouthwash and a toothbrush in there. I am a stickler about having clean teeth and will freak out if I have to eat something without flossing, brushing my teeth, gurgling with mouthwash and chewing a piece of gum afterwards. My boyfriend thinks I'm a freak. He's probably right! Before anyone is wondering where my (obligatory) hand sanitizer is... yeah, I'm wondering the same thing! Most likely left behind in whatever bag I was carrying yesterday.
- Hairbrush, mirror, comb, elastics and dry shampoo. Anyone else live in a stormy place and have bangs? Have you noticed how your bangs can get super greasy just from having the wind whipping them around all over your face - even though you just washed your hair in the morning and have normal, not oily, skin? It's a mystery. But not to worry! Dry shampoo is your friend. I like "Psssssst!" a lot, but can also recommend Ojon for those who are above getting beauty products at Duane Reade. ;) My current hairbrush is from Ricky's, but I am dying to get a Mason Pearson if I am ever in a position where it does not feel weird to spend $130 on a freaking hairbrush (although I am sure it is well worth every cent)! Finally, as a fun fact, my father bought the little pocket mirror for me in Tokyo when I was about 9.... he probably forgot about it way back, but I still carry it with me every day.
- iPod. I am well aware that iPhones can double as MP3 players, thus making your iPod redundant. Doesn't matter - I love my little pink friend and would never abandon her! Check out her pink poodle case that I picked up in one of those little stores on North 10th in Williamsburg (I forget which one)!
- A couple of comp cards and headshots, as well as at least two pens and a little pad of post-its. You never know who you'll meet during the course of the day, or who will call you regarding work or auditions.... or when your pen will go on strike. Needless to say, any opportunity that might arise always comes my way on those days when I forgot to move some or all of this stuff from the bag I used the day before. But like I said... you never know! :D
As is probably obvious to everyone by now, I have a tendency to overstuff my handbags.... just take a look again at my total purse content above. All that junk in a medium-sized hobo?! A brilliant solution would (of course) be to acquire a new, roomy tote for the fall! I am wildly in love with all the gorgeous croco, python and lizard skin bags that I see on so many fashionistas' arms right now. Below are some of my current favorites for the season, all of them with lots of room for all that cannot-live-without stuff that I insist on dragging with me everywhere I go.
From left to right, row by row: Betsey Johnson Snake Charmer tote, Michael Kors large python hobo, Perlina Legacy croco shopper tote, Badgley Mischka Laura croco tote, Fendi Giant Chef tote, Furla Aster metal bucket tote, Coach Sabrina large handbag, Jalda Sophia faux croco handbag, Moschino quilt croco shoulder bag.
OK, I know, I know... the Sabrina is not reptile and the Moschino holds no more than your absolute necessities. But so? Just pair it with a tote and you'll be fine! It comes in lemon yellow too, for those who like to have fun with color!
For a smaller wallet, check out these budget options - below from left to right: Jessica Simpson Jimmy crossbody faux anaconda/cobra bag ($78), Rampage Joelle faux croco satchel ($98), Serena Williams Signature Sophisticated scarf tote with gold metal trim ($75).
Yes, Serena does indeed design handbags, or at least she employs people who do and slaps her name on the final product. This particular bag comes in black, tan and lavender and looks like it would be perfect for lugging your books, fashion mags and other heavy duty on those days when you want to carry a small satchel or hobo for your essentials. That said, I would really like to see what it looks like in real life, not to mention on the inside, before I go ahead and purchase it. Which is easier said than done, since to my knowledge it is only available online!
But oh well, André Leon Talley is reportedly a huge fan of Serena as well as her sister, and if she is good enough for André.... she's certainly good enough for me too! Sold. :D